Energex Qualifies for PFI Standards Program (see press release HERE)
Announced on Friday, November 20, Energex becomes the eighth company to qualify for the PFI Standards program, adding its Pennsylvania and Quebec mills to bring the program's total number of qualified facilities to 15. Energex’s Lac-Megantic, Quebec plant is the first Canadian facility to qualify for the standards program.
The PFI Standards Program is a third party accreditation program that enables consumers to easily identify PFI Graded Fuel - consistent, reliable pellets from producers whose facilities are subject to regular third party inspection and lab testing.
Fuel manufacturers that are interested in joining the PFI Standards Program are encouraged to contact one of the program’s many accredited auditing agencies to learn more about the program’s qualifications and how to participate.
In August, the Board of Directors approved some key changes to the program, including:
- A clarification that the program is not a weights and measures program
- Reduced sampling frequency for manufacturers who demonstrate and maintain compliance with the program and who commit to on-site testing and monitoring protocols
- Conformance criteria reduced from 95% to 90%
- The inclusion of Annex A.1 in the QA/QC handbook outlining the rules of using the PFI Quality Mark
- A modified range for acceptable bulk density to 40-48 lbs. per cubic foot
To learn more about the PFI Standards Program, be sure to review the standards section on the PFI website.